How To Enable iOS 4.1 HDR Photos In iPhone 3G, 3GS
The latest firmware update for iPhone, iOS 4.1 features HDR photography, an uber cool feature that lets you take photos capturing a wide range of light on iPhone 4. When you enable the HDR(High Dynamic Range) setting, your iPhone camera app takes 3 pictures in quick succession with multiple exposures, and then finally overlaps them into one giving you a better photo.
Unfortunately this does not work by default for iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G. However you can enable HDR photos in your iPhone 3G or 3GS if you jailbreak it. Yet another reason to jailbreak 🙂
Here is how you to get HDR photography in iPhone 3G, 3GS iOS 4.1:
1. Jailbreak iPhone 3GS (PwnageTool) or 3G (using redsn0w0.9.5b5-5).
2. Install OpenSSH via Cydia.
3. Connect your iPhone with your Computer and SSH into it.
Install either CyberDuck for Mac or WinSCP for Windows.
Get your iPhone’s IP address from Settings –> WiFi –> ‘Name of your network provider’.
Here are the login details to SSH into your iPhone.
Server: IP address of your iPad/iPhone.
Hostname: iPad IP address
Username & Password: Same as for Cyberduck.
After you SSH into your device, be sure to change the password from the default ‘alpine’ using the passwd command.
4. Next copy the plist file from your device to your Computer as follows:
iPhone 3G: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist
iPhone 3GS: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N88AP.plist
5. In the Capabilities section of this property list file, add a key named ‘hdr-image-capture’ with a boolean value of ‘true’.
6. Save the file and copy this modified property list back to your device via SSH replacing the older version.
7. Restart Springboard or reboot your device, and you should now see the HDR setting in your iPhone camera app.
Soon there may be a Cydia app which will give you HDR on iPhone 3GS or 3G in a single click. But until then this is how you can have the HDR photography.
Update 1 – Cydia Tweak To Enable HDR Photos
A Cydia app is now available to enable HDR photos in iPhone 3GS, 3G iOS 4.1.
Update 2 – Jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G
Here is how you can jailbreak iPhone 3G on iOS 4.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta.
For iPhone 3GS, we now have GreenPois0n or Limera1n jailbreak tools.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4.1 using GreenPois0n
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS using Limera1n
Update 3 – Enable HDR in iPod Touch 4G
iPod Touch 4G users can now enable HDR after jailbreaking with either GreenPois0n or Limera1n.