How to create your own Search Provider in Internet Explorer 8?
Internet Explorer gives the choice of multiple Search Providers when giving results from it’s search box. You can add a search provider by choosing from the Search Provider gallery in IE8 and customize it to your needs. Apart from this, IE 8 gives an option to create your own search provider.
This is useful when you can’t find the search provider that you are looking for in the IE 8 provided gallery. In our scenario we could not find ‘Cuil’ search engine in the gallery. So we are adding this Search Provider to Internet Explorer 8.
The steps to be followed are:
1. In Internet Explorer 8, click the drop down menu of the Search Box.
2. Select ‘Manage Search Providers’.
3. The ‘Manage Add-ons’ window opens. Click on ‘Find more search providers…’ at the bottom left corner of the ‘Manage Add-ons’ window, shown in the screen shot below.
4. This takes you to a gallery of Search Providers on IE Add-ons webpage.
5. Click on ‘Create your own Search Provider’ found at the bottom of the gallery.
6. Visit the desired search engine in another window or tab. In our case, we will open www.cuil.com in a new tab.
7. Use the search engine to search for TEST (all capital letters). (Refer screen shot)
8. Copy the URL from the address bar (shown above) and paste in the URL section as shown in the image below.
9. Click ‘Install search provider’.
10. Now a window asks whether to install the search provider. Click ‘Add’.
11. You can now find ‘Cuil’ in the list of search providers from the search box drop-down.
You are done. Now you can use ‘Cuil’ for searching the web from the Internet Explorer ‘Search box’.