How To Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S Firmware From Android 2.1 To 2.2 Froyo Using Kies
Android 2.2 Froyo is the current stable build available in android mobile OS. Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) earlier launched with Android 2.1 Eclair can now be updated to Android 2.2 Froyo. We will be using Samsung Kies to update phone firmware. If you are a novice user for android wondering what is Kies, head to our article on What is Kies and where to download it.
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S firmware from Android 2.1 Eclair to Android 2.2 Froyo.
1. Make sure your PC is connected to internet.
2. Launch Kies and update it’s software by clicking on drop-down arrow –> Update. Restart PC if needed.
3. Now connect your Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) device to PC via USB.
4. You should now see a message “<GT-I9000>’s firmware can be upgraded. Please click here to upgrade firmware”. Click on the message.
5. Kies will now ask you whether to backup contacts on to your PC to avoid data loss if disaster strikes your android device during firmware update. If you choose to backup, go ahead and click “Upgrade” button with “Back up contacts before upgrading firmware” checked.
6. Save the contacts backup. Click “OK”.
7. Now Kies will list down your current device firmware version and the latest version. The latest version for Android 2.2 Froyo displayed by this model is PDA:JP6 / PHONE:JP2 / CSC:JP5. Click “Upgrade”.
8. Check the box “All information has been verified” and then click “Next”.
9. Kies gives you an option to backup your contacts onto their servers for 2 years. This is optional step and may be skipped by checking option “Proceed without saving”. Click “Next”.
10. Now Kies will download update software for it’s server. Don’t do anything will downloading is progressing. Disconnecting your android device during this process can be damage the device or brick the phone.
11. After downloading is complete, firmware upgrading on your device will take place. You will see “Do not turn off Targert!!!!!” message on your Samsung device.
12. Finally you will get message “GT-I9000 Upgrade completed”.
13. Samsung Galaxy S will now reboot. After reboot is complete, you can go ahead and disconnect USB.
To confirm upgrade, head to Application—> Settings—> About Phone
If everything went well, you will see Firmware version as 2.2 and Build number as FROYO.DDJP6.