Install Android 2.2 Froyo In Motorola Defy [China English ROM]
Motorola Defy is set to receive official Android 2.2 Froyo update sometime in Q2 of this year. The wait is too long and outdated considering Android 2.3 Gingerbread update rumors swaying around for many popular android devices. If you don’t wish to wait so long and would like to install Android 2.2 Froyo on your Defy, get ready for the dirty job. A leaked official Froyo ROM is available for download. It is supposed to be Froyo update for China Defys.
IMPORTANT: The leaked version is that of China with English language and is in the form of NANDROID backup. It comes rooted. But users have reported Camera problems and other minor issues with this build. Google Apps is not included in the build. Unfortunately, this is the best possible Android 2.2 Froyo available for Motorola Defy as of today. So proceed only for testing and playing around with Froyo! We don’t recommend this for daily use.
INSTALL ANDROID 2.2 FROYO IN MOTOROLA DEFY [CUSTOM ROM]
Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk. We are not responsible if your device gets bricked or damaged during the process.
1. Rooted Motorola Defy. Follow our guide “How to Root Motorola Defy”.
2. ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Here is a our guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone.
3. To be on safer side, we recommend NANDROID backup before flashing custom ROM. Follow our step-by-step guide on performing NANDROID backup.
4. Download custom Android 2.2 Froyo ROM for Motorola Defy onto your computer.
5. Download defy_2.2_boot_only.sbf on to your computer and extract it’s content. It will contain only one file named “boot_only.sbf”.
6. You need to have working USB connection between your computer and Motorola Defy so that you can transfer files that you downloaded above. Head over to guide on how to setup ADB in Windows.
7. Download RSD Lite onto your computer.
Make sure you have gone through ALL the requirements and “IMPORTANT” section above!
1. Connect your phone to computer using USB cable.
2. Copy the downloaded ROM “droid22.zip” to the root of phone’s internal memory.
3. Disconnect the USB connection.
4. Launch ROM Manager app on your phone.
5. Tap on “Manage and Restore Backups” and then select the “droid22.zip” file that you copied to SD Card.
6. Your Defy will now boot into ClockworkMod Recovery and begins the restoration process. Wait till the process completes.
7. Now select “Wipe data/factory reset”.
8. Then select “Wipe cache partition” and then reboot by going to +++++GO BACK+++++ and then reboot.
9. Connect the device to computer via USB cable.
10. Launch RSD Lite and select the unzipped sbf file (boot_only.sbf), choose the phone model and click ‘Start’.
11. Your phone will reboot into bootloader and apply the flash. Wait till you get “PASS” message in the RSD Lite interface.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Android 2.2 Froyo on your Motorola Defy.