Install Android 2.2.1 Froyo On Motorola Milestone XT720
Motorola earlier announced that Motorola Milestone XT720 will not get the Android 2.2 Froyo update that originally shipped with Android 2.1 Eclair. The news upset many Milestone fans and android developers jumped in to come to rescue. Android 2.2 Froyo can now be installed on Motorola Milestone XT720!
FLASH ANDROID 2.2 ON MOTOROLA MILESTONE XT720
Here is how you can install Android 2.2 Froyo on your Motorola Milestone XT720. There are couple of things that you need to take care of before proceeding with the flashing ROM instructions.
1. This method is only for those who are running stock Android 2.1 Eclair ROM on their Milestone XT720. If you have any other custom ROMs installed, you need to flash Android 2.1 stock ROM and then proceed with below instructions.
2. You need to have your Motorola Milestone XT720 rooted before attempting flashing ROM. If not, head over to our guide on how to root Motorola Milestone XT720 in One-Click.
4. Install “OpenRecovery” app that is included in the downloaded package. The app is in apk format. If you are not sure how to install the APK format app, follow our guide on how to install APK (Non-market) apps in Android. One more guide here.
Once you are done with the above requirements, proceed with the following instructions for flashing the custom built Android 2.2 Froyo ROM to your Motorola Milestone XT720.
1. Reboot your phone.
2. Connect your Milestone to computer using USB Cable.
3. Copy the folder “nandroid” in the downloaded content to root of the phone’s internal SD Card.
4. Make sure that SD Card is not connected to your PC using “mass storage share”.
5. On your phone, run “OpenRecovery app” and then tap “Install Recovery”.
6. Tap on “Boot recovery”.
7. Restore the backup “stock22xxxx”.
8. Then Wipe/Factory reset in Open Recovery.
9. Reboot your phone.
That’s it. You have successfully upgraded your Milestone XT720 with Android 2.2.1 Froyo. Enjoy!
Head over to developer’s thread to report bugs and join discussion.