Install Android 3.0 Honeycomb (Emulator Based ROM) On NookColor
Android 3.0 Honeycomb is the next coming major release mobile platform for android that’s mainly meant for larger screen devices such as tablets. NookColor, an android based e-reader must be popular unofficial contender. And the good news is that it has already tasted Honeycomb! Just days after the release of Android 3.0 SDK Tools, a developer has fished out Android 3.0 and ported it to Nook Color.
It is currently in a good shape with many important features such as Wireless, Accelerometer, Touchscreen, and Sound working successfully. So if you want to play around and taste Honeycomb on your NookColor, go ahead and follow our guide.
INSTALL ANDROID 3.0 HONEYCOMB ON NOOKCOLOR
The ROM is completely based on the Android 3.0 Emulator extracted from the SDK Preview release that was released to developers. So it’s good to play-around and test it. Here is a guide on how to install Android 3.0 Honeycomb on your NookColor using Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Disclaimer: Flashing custom ROMs can brick your device in some cases. Proceed at your own risk. dkszone.net is not responsible if your device gets bricked or damaged during the process.
1. Download NookColor Honeycomb image onto your computer and extract it’s content.
2. Insert microSD card to your PC and write the extracted image content on to microSD card. Make sure you pick the drive letter corresponding to your microSD card while writing.
If you are new to writing image on microSD card, follow the steps:
– Launch terminal and microSD card is unmounted (run as root).
– Navigate to directory where you extracted the zip content
# umount /dev/<sdcard>
Where <sdcard> is your microSD card. Replace with your card’s name in it’s place. Make sure you’re writing to your SD card and not to your hard disk!
# dd if=nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/<sdcard>
3. After finishing writing, eject the microSD card from the computer.
4. Power Off your NookColor.
5. Insert microSD card into NookColor device.
6. Power On the NookColor.
Your NookColor should now boot into Android 3.0 Honeycomb. Enjoy Playing!