How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery On Samsung Galaxy S Running Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (XXJVK)
Samsung Galaxy S recently got the leaked XXJVK Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread ROM. We have already covered a comprehensive guide on how to install the XXJVK Gingerbread ROM on Samsung Galaxy S I9000. The famous ROM Manager that is usually used to install ClockworkMod Recovery tool is not compatible with the updated Galaxy S due to new kernel Recovery 3e that needs signature verification for flashing external files.
Upon flashing the ClockworkMod Recovery, you get the error as under:
Finding update package…
Verifying update package…
E:Failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
The solution is to replace the kernel based on Recovery 2e that permits installing unverified signature files. Thanks to developer of XDA ‘Chainfire’ who has come up with working tools that lets you install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S I9000 running the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (XXJVK) ROM. Note that this process will also root and install Busybox on your phone!
Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk. We are not responsible if your device gets bricked or damaged during the process.
1. Download CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVK-v2.7-CWM3RFS.zip and extract it’s contents.
2. Download ODIN flashing tool on to your computer.
3. Download Samsung USB drivers for your Samsung Android device. Alternatively, you can install Kies that is shipped with your device. It will have all the drivers for making USB connection with your PC.
4. USB Cable.
5. Make sure your phone has enough battery power.
1. Extract the contents of CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVK-v2.7-CWM3RFS.zip. You should have “CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVK-v2.7-CWM3RFS.tar” file in it after extraction.
2. Run the ODIN exe file (Odin3_v1.3.exe) that you downloaded to your PC.
3. Power off Samsung Galaxy S.
4. Put the phone into “Download mode”. To do it, press and hold “Volume Down” button, “Power” button, and “Home” key simultaneously for few seconds. It should boot into “Download Mode” in which you will see a android character with a sweeper and “Do not turn off Target!!!” message.
5. Connect the phone to your computer via USB Cable.
6. In the ODIN interface, you will see one of the box turning Yellow color.
7. Make sure the “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” is checked. “Re-Partition” should be unchecked in the ODIN interface. Now, click “PDA” button, then browse and select the “CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVK-v2.7-CWM3RFS.tar” file.
8. Click “Start” and wait for the process to finish. After few seconds, you will see “PASS!” message in one of the box in ODIN.
9. After the process is complete, your phone will reboot automatically. Disconnect the USB connection.
10. Now your phone is rooted and CWM Manager is also installed! You will find a new app named “CWM” (refer image below) installed.
11. CWM is nothing but the ClockworkMod Recovery! Launch it and tap on “ClockWorkMod” to reboot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.