Jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad
With the release of iOS 5, the latest and smartest firmware for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, Apple has met user expectations in terms of additional functionality and surprising features such as the iCloud, a cloud based storage service for music and other purchases.
Those who have updated their iPhone or iPad to iOS 5 might now be willing to jailbreak it to get access to Cydia apps and themes. The latest version of Redsn0w, 0.9.9b7 can jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, and iPod Touch 4G/3G. iPad 2 owners are not so lucky, as a jailbreak for iOS 5 on iPad 2 is yet to be available.
Note that Redsn0w is still a tethered jailbreak on all supported devices except iPhone 3GS old bootrom. This means that you will have to boot your device into a tethered mode by using the ‘Just Boot’ option of Redsn0w each time you reboot it.
Note for Ultrasn0w Unlockers
iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS unlockers should NOT follow the below given steps to jailbreak iOS 5. This is because the steps require you to first upgrade to iOS 5 firmware, which will cause upgrading of baseband and hence loss of unlock. Instead, you should first preserve baseband while jailbreaking iOS 5 and then later unlock iPhone on iOS 5 using Ultrasn0w 1.2.4.
How to jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
1. Upgrade your iDevice to iOS 5 firmware. In order to do this, follow these steps:
Download iOS 5 to your desktop.
Use SHIFT + Restore (OPTION + Restore on Mac) and select the downloaded iOS 5 IPSW.
Let iTunes restore your iPhone or iPad to iOS 5.
2. Download Redsn0w jailbreak for iOS 5. Download link is given at the end of this article.
3. Place iOS 5 firmware and the extracted redsn0w files on your desktop.
4. Run Redsn0w and click on ‘Jailbreak’ button.
5. Make sure your device is plugged into your PC or Mac, and it is switched OFF. Click ‘Next’ to follow the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
A. Hold down the POWER button for 3 seconds.
B. Without releasing the POWER button, also hold down the HOME button for 10 seconds.
C. Without releasing the HOME button, release the POWER button BUT KEEP HOLDING the HOME button for around 15 seconds.
If all has gone well, then your device should be in DFU mode.
6. Redsn0w will identify the build and then reboot your device.
7. After it prepares jailbreak data, Redsn0w will present the options for your iDevice.
8. Make sure you select ‘Install Cydia’. The whole point of jailbreaking is to install Cydia apps and themes, right?
9. Wait patiently as Redsn0w jailbreaks your iPhone or iPad.
Once the jailbreak process is complete, your device will reboot. Wait, everything is not yet done. You may notice that Cydia is not working on your newly jailbroken iOS 5 device. Since this is a tethered jailbreak, this behavior is expected.
Run Redsn0w once again and use the ‘Just Boot’ option under ‘Extras’ to boot into the tethered mode. Everything should work fine now.
Download iOS 5 IPSW for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
Download iTunes 10.5