How To Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 With Sn0wbreeze 2.2
As you may be already aware, Sn0wbreeze 2.2 is now available for download. It can jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, 2G, and iPad on iOS 4.2.1 Untethered by building custom IPSW firmware while preserving iPhone baseband.
Sn0wbreeze 2.2 is the Windows equivalent of PwnageTool 4.2, a Mac OS X only program. This version includes the ‘Baseband Preservation Mode’ which lets iPhone 4 users preserve their baseband while restoring to custom iOS 4.2.1 firmware.
Here are the steps to jailbreak your iPhone on iOS 4.2.1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.2
1. Download Sn0wbreeze 2.2, iOS 4.2.1 for your iDevice. All download links at bottom.
2. Run Sn0wbreeze 2.2 and click the Next button.
3. Browse and select the iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. Let Sn0wbreeze 2.2 identify the IPSW. Click next to proceed.
4. Only iPhone users have the option titled ‘Baseband Preservation Mode’. In this mode, your device is not jailbroken, and no Cydia is installed. Only your iPhone baseband is preserved, so this option is mainly for unlockers who like to use Sn0wbreeze to preserve baseband.
The other two modes ‘Simple Mode’ and ‘Expert Mode’ also preserve baseband. Select one of this to jailbreak your iDevice along with baseband preservation.
5. Assuming you have selected ‘Simple Mode’ which suffices for most user needs, proceed with the next step.
6. Now Sn0wbreeze will start building the custom IPSW. If you have Adobe Flash for Internet Explorer installed on your PC, then you can play Pac-Man game while the build goes on.
7. Once the custom IPSW is built, click OK to start following the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
8. First turn off your device and connect it to your PC via USB cable. Then click Start.
A. Prepare to press HOME and POWER (5 seconds)
B. Press HOME and POWER buttons together (10 seconds)
C. Release the POWER button, but hold the HOME button
D. Keep holding the HOME button (30 seconds)
If you have followed the steps correctly your iPhone should now be in DFU mode.
9. Now start iTunes, select your iDevice and click SHIFT + Restore in iTunes to restore your iDevice to this custom built firmware.
Once iTunes restores your iPhone to this custom built firmware, your device is fully jailbroken on iOS 4.2.1 untethered.
Unlock iPhone 4 Baseband 1.59.00
If you have been one of those lucky guys who has been able to preserve the baseband at 1.59.00 using the steps above, then go ahead and unlock with Ultrasn0w 1.2.
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad
Download iTunes 10.1