How To Jailbreak PS3 Firmware 3.55 And Install Packages
Geohot, the iPhone hacker who gave us the Limera1n exploit, has been trying his hand at jailbreaking Sony PlayStation 3 since quite a while. After a recent discovery of exploit by a German team fail0verflow, Geohot has released PS3 root keys on his website geohot.com.
Now Geohot has released PS3 jailbreak for download. By jailbreaking PS3, you can install custom packages on your device.
Note: You cannot install or play pirated games on PS3 after jailbreak.
Jailbreak PS3 On 3.55 Firmware
Here are the steps to jailbreak PS3 on 3.55 using Geohot’s jailbreak tool.
Prepare USB Stick With PS3 Jailbreak
1. Download PS3 Jailbreak and unzip it on your desktop. [Update: Download no longer]
2. Take a USB pen drive and in it’s root create a folder named ‘PS3’.
3. Create another folder inside ‘PS3’ named ‘UPDATE’.
4. Move the PS3UPDAT.PUP file (from the unzipped file you downloaded in Step 1) to ‘UPDATE’ folder on your USB flash drive.
Jailbreak PS3 Using The Prepared USB Stick
5. Now plug this USB into your PS3.
6. Go to the Settings tab on your PS3 dashboard and select ‘System Update’.
7. Then select ‘Update via Storage Media’. It should tell you that it found Version 3.55-jb.
8. Select OK.
9. Next accept the conditions and install the update.
10. Your PS3 will update it’s firmware, beep 4 times, and then shut down.
11. When you power up your PS3 (switch on the console), it will be jailbroken!
How To Install Custom Packages
Jailbreaking is all about installing 3rd party software, that are officially not allowed. PS3 jailbreak too does the same, it lets you install custom packages. Here is how you can do this after jailbreaking.
1. Download Geohot’s test package file. [Update: Download no longer]
2. Once again you need a USB pen drive, so plug it into your Computer and copy the test.pkg file you downloaded in Step 1 into the root of your USB stick.
3. Plug the USB drive into PS3.
4. Navigate to the ‘Game’ tab on your PS3 dashboard and select ‘Install Package Files’.
5. Next choose test.pkg on the USB and let PS3 install the package files.
Note that this is just a test package, and does nothing interesting. Jailbreaking PS3 has opened up the doors, so we need to wait and see what all custom packages are going to be out.
Thanks to StealthBravo for the above jailbreak guide.
Check out this video from Geohot showing the PS3 jailbreak and installing of the test package.