Jailbreak PS3 With PSFreedom Using Android Phone (Nexus One, HTC Desire)
The PS3 Jailbreak scene is seeing some exciting things these days, with so many PS3 jailbreak mods appearing including the recently released open source PS3 jailbreak PSGroove. Folks over at XDA have managed to jailbreak PS3 on firmware 3.41 using a rooted Android phone, Nexus One on Cyanogen Mod 6 and HTC Desire on OpenDesire 4.0.4 to be specific.
The jailbreak is possible with some other HTC phones as well, those with the MSM72K USB controller. Here are the steps to jailbreak PS3 with Nexus One.
Jailbreak PS3 With PSFreedom Android
1. Download PSFreedom Jailbreak For PS3 (N1-CM6-PSFreedom.tar.gz, download link at bottom) and extract the file on your desktop.
2. Copy the folder contents to the root of your SD card, which include these files:
3. Download PS3-Signed.zip (link at bottom) and place it also in the root of your SD card.
4. Reboot your device into recovery mode and flash the PS3-Signed.zip.
5. Reboot your phone again. Launch terminal console and use the following commands:
6. Unplug your PS3 and connect your rooted Nexus One or HTC Desire phone via USB.
7. Power on your PS3 at the wall. Press the PS3 power button first and then EJECT button immediately following that.
That’s it. Your PS3 is now jailbroken. You should be able to see ‘Install Package Files’ under GAME on the XMB.
Some know bugs include WiFi disabled until the original boot.img is flashed back, and also USB mass storage disabled. The flashable zip files PS3-Signed.zip and PS3-No-More-Signed.zip do not require an unlocked bootloader. However rooting of your Android phone is necessary.
Restore Your Android Phone
To return your phone to normal, put it in recovery mode and flash PS3-No-More-Signed.zip (download link below).
Download PS3 Jailbreak Package (includes all above)
In case you encounter any problems with Backup Manager, use this version of psfreedom.ko (given by PS3Hacks) instead of the one present in N1-CM6-PSFreedom.tar.gz.