Semitethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch
iOS 5 jailbreakers are a bit disappointed because currently, there is no untethered jailbreak for this latest firmware from Apple. Redsn0w, the only updated tool for iOS 5, gives you a tethered jailbreak.
In case of a tethered jailbreak, every time your iDevice reboots, you will have to boot it into tethered mode by running Redsn0w. Which means that you will need access to your PC or Mac when your device crashes or reboots. Otherwise, you will be stuck on the Apple logo screen and your device will be completely useless until you are able to run Redsn0w jailbreak on it.
This is why an untethered jailbreak is the preferred form of jailbreak. However, since there is not much hope of finding an untether exploit for iOS 5 on iPhone and iPad, a semitethered jailbreak has been released to ease the reboot situations.
What is a semitethered jailbreak?
First, let us understand what untethered and tethered jailbreaks are.
An untethered jailbreak means that your iDevice will be permanently jailbroken until you restore it to a stock IPSW.
A tethered jailbreak is a temporary solution and is lost when you reboot your device.
A semitethered jailbreak will avoid you the hassle of the ‘stuck on Apple logo screen’ and allow you to use your iPhone or iPad with limited functionality. Jailbreak apps will not work, nor can you access Cydia, the jailbreak app store. However, you can continue using your iPhone to make and receive calls, send text messages.
SemiTeter is a semitethered jailbreak released in the BigBoss repo for iOS 5. Here are the limitations of using SemiTether semitethered jailbreak solution for iOS 5.
1. Mobile Safari and mail apps will not work.
2. No jailbreak tweaks or apps will work.
3. While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
4. Device will take longer to boot up. This is because when you reboot, it has to reload every service.
There might be other problems that may surface as the testing goes on. Currently, SemiTether is in Beta. So, except a few bugs here and there.
Now coming to the positive side of using SemiTether, here is the list:
1. You can use your iPhone for calling, texting.
2. Browsing is possible using any App store web browsers such as Atomic browser.
3. All app store apps will function well.
How to get semitethered jailbreak for iOS 5
First, you need to jailbreak iOS 5 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch using Redsn0w. The current version of Redsn0w is 0.9.9b7 and this can jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, and iPod Touch 4G/3G.
Follow our guide on how to jailbreak iOS 5 using Redsn0w 0.9.9b7.
iPhone unlockers, you SHOULD STAY AWAY from stock iOS 5 update.
iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS unlockers can first jailbreak iOS 5 while preserving baseband, and later unlock using Ultrasn0w.
iPad 2 does not yet have an iOS 5 jailbreak.
Once you have jailbroken your iDevice, the next step is to install ‘SemiTether’ app from BigBoss repo.
1. Open Cydia and touch on ‘Manage’ tab.
2. Touch ‘Sources’.
3. Touch ‘Edit’ on the top right corner, and later touch ‘Add’.
4. Now enter ‘http://thebigboss.org/semitether’ and tap Add Source.
5. Now search for ‘semitether’ in Cydia and install the app.
That’s it. Now you are free from all tension and worry of your iPhone or iPad suddenly crashing and getting stuck on the reboot screen.