How To Update iPhone 3GS/3G Baseband To 06.15.00 Using PwnageTool 4.1.3
Ultrasn0w unlock for iPhone 3GS/3G has finally been released but unlike we expected it’s not for baseband 05.14.00. The iPhone Dev Team instead found a working exploit for baseband 06.15.00 (a higher one) found on iPad 3.2.2) and were able to unlock it. So in order to use Ultrasn0w 1.2 to unlock your iPhone 3GS/3G you need to update to baseband 06.15.00!
Note: If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an “unofficial” bundle for you. Read no further.
WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
There’s an error in the bundle for the iPhone3GS 4.1 that prevents the new baseband from being used. If you know your way around OSX, please download the fixed bundle, and unzip it if Safari hasn’t already done so. Then “Show Package Contents” of PwnageTool.app, navigate to Contents->Resources->FirmwareBundles and drop it there. Otherwise, please wait for the updated PwnageTool, or the OSX version of redsn0w coming soon.
This PwnageTool also contains a 4.2.1 bundle for iPhone3G owners…for all else, it’s still only 4.1. If you have an iPhone3GS with an old bootrom, use redsn0w for an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak (it can now install the iPad baseband too). For all other devices, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is tethered only (use redsn0w for it), until @comex can work some untethering magic.
How To Update iPhone 3GS, 3G Baseband To 06.15.00
Here goes the step by step guide to update your iPhone 3GS or 3G baseband to 06.15.00 using PwnageTool 4.1.3 (Mac OS X). Windows users, you have Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5 to jailbreak iPhone 3GS and 3G on iOS 4.2.1 or 4.1 while updating the baseband. We will post another guide when redsn0w is out.
1. Download iPad 3.2.2 IPSW. (Download ASAP, Apple may pull this off their servers!). If the link no longer works, then you know where to get it! Just Google it and you may find it on various content sharing sites.
2. Download iOS 4.1 IPSW.
3. Download PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition.
4. Launch PwnageTool 4.1.3 and select your device (iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G). Next browse and select the 4.1 IPSW firmware you earlier downloaded in Step 2.
5. When you see the warning message, please read and understand it carefully.
You have the option to upgrade your iPhone baseband to an iPad baseband that can be carrier unlocked. WARNING: If you choose to do this, you will not be able to downgrade back to a “normal” iPhone baseband, and you’ll void any Apple warranties… Are you absolutely sure you want to upgrade your baseband?
Click Yes to continue.
6. Next browse and select iPad 3.2.2 IPSW you downloaded in Step 1. PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition will club the baseband from 3.2.2 IPSW with iOS 4.1 firmware to make a special unlock IPSW.
7. Let PwnageTool 4.1.3 build the custom IPSW and place it on your desktop.
8. DFU Mode:
In order to restore your iPhone 3GS/3G to this custom built FW, go ahead and put it in DFU Mode.
1. Press and hold HOME and POWER buttons together for 10 seconds.
2. Next release the POWER button but KEEP HOLDING HOME button for another 10 seconds or so.
When you see the message ‘Successfully entered DFU mode! Close the PwnageTool application, start iTunes and restore with your custom firmware bundle’, you know that you have done everything right!
9. Open iTunes, select your iPhone and click ALT + Restore button. Point iTunes to the custom IPSW built by PwnageTool and let it complete the restoration process.
Unlock iPhone 3GS, 3G iOS 4.2.1/iOS 4.1 Using Ultrasn0w
After completing the above given baseband update process, go ahead and follow the steps given in the link below to unlock iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G on iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 using Ultrasn0w 1.2.
Unlock iPhone 3GS, 3G using Ultrasn0w 1.2
In case you are facing signal issues try this: toggle on the AirPort mode for a while then toggle it off.
Fix Battery Drain On iPhone 3GS/3G
Due to continual checking of push certificates by iOS 4.1, iOS 4.2.1 your battery will drain pretty fast after you update to baseband 6.15.00 and unlock it with Ultrasn0w 1.2. The culprits are not PwnageTool or Redsn0w but a feature put in by Apple that uses either WiFi or your cellular data network to continuously check for certs.
Here is a temporary fix for battery drain after unlocking with Ultrasn0w 1.2.