How To Update iPhone 3GS/3G Baseband To 06.15.00 Using Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5
Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5 is now available for both Windows and Mac OS X. It lets you update your iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G baseband to 06.15.00 which is required in order to unlock with Ultrsn0w 1.2. For the unaware, unlock for iPhone 3GS and 3G on baseband 05.14.02 has not been released as initially expected.
Instead the iPhone Dev have released an unlock for baseband 06.15.00 (from iPad 3.2.2) which is a higher version baseband. The only way to unlock iPhone 3GS and 3G on any existing baseband is to first upgrade it to bb 06.15.00 and later unlock with Ultrasn0w.
We have already shown you how to update to baseband 06.15.00 using PwnageTool 4.1.3. Now here are the steps to do it using Redsn0w 0.9.6b5, which is available for both Windows and Mac OS X.
WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remainsdown in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stockfirmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Tethered Jailbreak For iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
We recommend iPhone 3GS (new bootrom) users to stay on iOS 4.1 as iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak using Redsn0w is currently tethered for you guys. Which means every time you reboot your Computer or want to use SSH or other jailbreak apps, you need to run Redsn0w with the ‘Just boot tethered now’ option.
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom and iPhone 3G users on the other hand need not worry as Redsn0w jailbreak is untethered on iOS 4.2.1.
Redsn0w Crashing, Stuck In Reboot And Other Problems
1. Make sure that you place the files you need during this process on your desktop.
Note Windows Vista and Windows 7 users
2. Run Redsn0w in administrator mode (right click and select ‘Run as administrator’) in Windows.
3. You may have to use XP Compatibility mode if you encounter problems with Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5.
4. Redsn0w should point to iPhone Firmware NOT iPad 3.2.2 FW or else you may get stuck in reboot.
Update iPhone 3GS, 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 On iOS 4.2.1/iOS 4.1
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5, iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 IPSW (stock FW) for your iPhone 3GS/3G. All download links at bottom.
2. Start Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and point it to either iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 IPSW for iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G (NOT iPad 3.2.2!) you downloaded in Step 1.
If you’re not sure about old/new 3GS bootrom,tell redsn0w it’s old (not fixed). It’ll tell you if you’re wrong once in DFU mode.
3. Let Redsn0w recognize the IPSW and prepare jailbreak data by patching the kernel.
In case Redsn0w is unable to recognize the IPSW, check to see if you have pointed to the correct version. For instance if you are currently on iOS 4.1 then select iOS 4.1 IPSW. Also if you have downloaded a zip file then rename the extension to .IPSW and continue using it.
4. In the next step, select ‘Install iPad baseband’ checkbox.
5. Read and fully understand the message that pops up saying
‘Warning: if you choose to do this, you won’t be able to downgrade to a ‘normal’ iPhone baseband. You’ll also void any Apple warranties (they can easily detect this baseband if you bring it in for service.). Starting with FW 4.2.1, you won’t be able to restore to stock IPSWs (only custom ones from PwnageTool). Be sure you understand the consequences of this before ….’.
Click Yes to continue.
6. First connect your iPhone to your Computer and then turn it off. Then click Next.
7. Follow the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
A. Hold down the POWER/SLEEP button for 3 seconds.
B. Without releasing the POWER button, also hold the HOME button for 10 seconds.
C. Without releasing the HOME button, release the POWER button. But KEEP holding the HOME button for another 15 seconds.
8. Let Redsn0w upload jailbreak data to your iPhone and complete the jailbreak cum baseband upgrade process. This may take a while as the current version of Redsn0w uses Apple servers to update the bb to 06.15.00.
Unlock iPhone 3GS, 3G On iOS 4.2.1, iOS 4.1 Using Ultrasn0w
That’s it. After your phone reboots, you can go ahead and unlock iPhone 3GS or 3G on basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.21.01, 05.13.04 and 06.15.00 using Ultrasn0w 1.2.
Fix Battery Drain On iPhone 3GS/3G
Due to continual checking of push certificates by iOS 4.1, iOS 4.2.1 your battery will drain pretty fast after you update to baseband 6.15.00 and unlock it with Ultrasn0w 1.2. The culprits are not PwnageTool or Redsn0w but a feature put in by Apple that uses either WiFi or your cellular data network to continuously check for certs.
Here is a temporary fix for battery drain after unlocking with Ultrasn0w 1.2.
Download iOS 4.2.1 IPSW for iPhone 3GS, 3G
Download iOS 4.1 IPSW for iPhone 3GS, 3G
Download Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5 for Windows, Mac OS X