How To Add, Remove Exceptions In Windows 7 Firewall
Windows Firewall is quite a powerful program in Windows 7, with added features such as multiple access firewall policies. This is part of the new security features of Windows 7, along with Windows Defender, BitLocker drive encryption.
Add Exceptions (Allow Programs) In Windows Firewall
In order for some programs and features to work properly, you need to add them as exceptions in Windows Firewall (for instance, TinyUmbrella, XAMPP, etc). Normally during a program’s installation, you are asked for confirmation to block or allow the program through Windows Firewall. If you have said no at that time, but later want to add it to the exceptions list, then here is how to do it.
1. Go to Control Panel –> System and Security. Click on Windows Firewall.
2. In the left panel, click on ‘Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall’ link.
3. In the next screen, a list of all programs and features is shown, showing the allowed programs with a check mark for the network that it is being allowed for (private or public network). Click on ‘Change settings’ (requires administrator privileges). You will then be allowed to add or remove exceptions.
4. Scroll down the list and select the program that you want to allow, then select either or both Private and Public networks for that program.
5. In case you do not find the program in the list, click on ‘Allow another program..’ to choose it from the list of all installed applications from your Computer. Click ‘Add’.
6. Click ‘OK’ to save your changes.
Remove Program From Exception List From Windows Firewall
If you have accidentally allowed a program but later decided to block access to it, follow the steps given above till Step 3. If you want to block the program temporarily, then unselect it’s check box and save changes.
Otherwise choose the program you want to remove from the exceptions list, and then click the ‘Remove’ button.
Click ‘Yes’ when asked for confirmation.